My name is J Steven Raquel. I’m currently enrolled at the University of California, Irvine pursuing a Master of Science in Statistics. I graduated from the University of California, Santa Barbara, with a B.S. in Statistical Science in 2018.
In my free time, I am an avid gamer and I study both the Spanish and Portuguese languages.
- Statistics M.S., University of California, Irvine, Estimated Completion June 2022
- Designed the
ggomoku R package and Shiny app as a pair project
- Coursework in Probability and Statistical Theory, Statistical Methods, Bayesian Data Analysis, Statistical Methods
- Statistical Science B.S., University of California, Santa Barbara, June 2018
- Concentration in Applied Statistics
- Coursework in Data Mining, Regression Analysis, Stochastic Processes, Non-Parametric Methods, Time Series, Advanced Statistical Methods, SAS Programming, Statistical Data Science
- R, Python, SQL
- Linux, Bash Shell
- Power BI, Tableau, SAP Analytics Cloud
- Spanish (B1), Portuguese (B1)
- Data Analyst, Valeo Networks, Sep 2018 - Sep 2020
- Creating data visualizations and dashboards with business intelligence software to track key performance indicators and inform decision-making for the company and external clients.
- Assisting with identifying government contracts pertaining to data analytics.
- Building predictive models with machine learning algorithms.
- Production Coordinator, 91.9 KCSB-FM in Santa Barbara, Nov 2017 - June 2018
- Timely produced excellent public service announcements (PSAs) and event promotions conforming with FCC guidelines.
- Organized and trained volunteers to create PSAs and event promotions.
- Arctic Data Center Intern, National Center of Ecological Analysis and Synthesis, Sep 2016 - Sep 2017
- Expertly maintained metadata for federally funded data repository.
- Improved team efficiency in data cleaning, by writing original functions and teaching other members how to use R.
- Business & Financial Planning Assistant, UCSB Housing, Dining & Auxiliary Enterprises, May 2016 - Sep 2016
- Efficiently memorized reports, wrote checks, tracked spending and prepared documentation.
- Noted areas where the department was overspending, resulting in savings.
- Radio Programmer, 91.9 KCSB-FM in Santa Barbara, Jun 2017 - Jun 2018
- Ran a weekly college radio music show called ‘The Company of Lazarus’.
- Operated a radio control board.
- Secretary, oSTEM Inc. @ UC Santa Barbara, May 2016 - Apr 2017
- Reaching out to STEM majors who are part of the LGBTQ community.
- Educating on the importance of LGBTQ visibility and inclusivity.
- Student Mentor, Isla Vista Elementary, Sep 2016 - Jun 2017
- Acted as a mentor and role model for a 6th grade student for a year.
- Panelist, UCSB Mental Health Conference, 2016, 2017
- Took part on a panel to share personal experiences related to mental illness and advise on how to cope and intervene.
- Peer Volunteer, Life of the Party, UCSB Alcohol & Drug Program, Jan 2016 - May 2016
- Encouraging the use of safer partying practices in Isla Vista, California.
- Collaborated for a campus-wide “Be Safe and Pace” awareness campaign.